Monday, September 20, 2010

Fried Pancake Kedai Kopi New Cathay @ Pulau Tikus, Penang

Just right after the curry mee breakfast, I was told by Pei Yee that the coffee shop across the road serves really good fried pan cake. I was bemused as I have not come across such delicacy.

The fried pancake stall is located in Kedai Kopi New Cathay which is visible from the main road of Jalan Burma. The coffee shop occupied the corner lot and is situated by the junction of Lorong Kucing.
Kedai Kopi New Cathay, Pulau Tikus

Just like a normal coffee shop, it has many hawker stalls offering different type of food and is another popular stall among the Pulau Tikus folks.
Pretty crowded even on the weekday

Obviously, my attention are on the fried pancake stall. Upon ordering, I was told that the waiting time is 20 minutes. That even bemused me more, wondering how can pancake required such a long time to prepare and can be popular with the crowd.
Fried Pancake Stall, Kedai Kopi New Cathay

I observed how he pour the pancake dough onto a pan, leaving it for a while before breaking them into square pieces and frying them just like omelet. At this point of time, I was wondering how the pancake will taste alike. Salty, sweet or mixture of both?
It's banana flavoured

A glass of ambra juice while waiting for my fried pancake.
Ambra juice (RM 1.80)
A little bit diluted for me as I prefer the thicker taste of ambra juice.

After 20 minutes of wait, my fried pancake was served.
Pulau Tikus Fried Pancake (RM 2.50)
It has a strong banana fragrant. Crispy on the outside with some aromatic charred smell to offer while being soft and mushy inside. And yes, it tasted sweet just like a pancake but this is definitely a different version.

Definitely something new to me but I kinda like it, particularly on the unique texture of the fried pancake.

Fried Pancake: 7/10

Price: 7/10

Verdict: The fried pancake tasted very cute, I mean in a nice way!

Kedai Kopi New Cathay
Lorong Kucing
off Jalan Burma

10350, Pulau Tikus
Penang
Malaysia
Business hours: 7.30am - 3pm daily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...