Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Loh Mee Fong Sheng @ Lorong Selamat, Penang

My third day in Penang falls on the weekdays. After the strenuous outdoor trekking activities on the previous, I really had a good rest. I woke up at 10am after sleeping more than 8 hours. Since I'm in Penang, my first thought will always be about food, wondering what I should have in this island filled with delicious food.

On my previous visit, I'd wanted to pay a visit to a Loh Mee stall operated by my friend's dad. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances back then, the plan was called off. Finally, this time round, I'd able to visit the stall located at the famous food alley of Lorong Selamat.

I was told that the business hours are from 7.30am to 2.30pm. It was almost 2pm at my time of visit, and presumably the crowd was little because it had passed the lunch time.

The stall offered only Penang Loh Mee. A normal bowl is priced at RM 2.70, while adding on 30 cents each time will give u a bigger bowl to cure your hunger up to RM 3.30.

If you are craving for more ingredients in your Loh Mee, then the Premium Loh Mee might just suits you.
The premium Loh Mee

Like the normal Penang Loh Mee, but the premium one comes with extra ingredients like fish balls, pork belly and pork intestine. A bowl of premium Loh Mee is priced at RM 4.70, well worth it for the amount of ingredients that they have in the bowl.
Premium Loh Mee ingredients

I'd always like to have my noodle to have some added spiciness. Much to my delight, there were chili sauce and garlic sauce prepared on each of the table. You can now personalize your own flavour of Loh Mee that suits your taste bud.
Chili & Garlic sauce

It is important to note that Penang Loh Mee is very different from those being referred to as in Kuala Lumpur. The one being served in Penang, were noodles that was being served on the starchy herbal soup.
Penang Loh Mee (RM 2.70)
The Loh Mee consisted of hard-boiled duck egg and pork fillets. I actually could smell the fragrance of the Loh Mee from a far when the bowl was being served to me. I was hoping that the soup will taste as good as the aroma suggested. And yes, it was good indeed. The soup was full with flavour, with a perfect hint of herbal taste, much to my liking. While the soup may be a little starchy when it was served, it however got diluted as the time passed by, so no worries about starchy soup.

The owner of the stall

It was my first bowl of Penang Loh Mee after a very long time. Reason was that I was terrified by the awful preparation of Penang Loh Mee in Klang Valley. This Fong Sheng Loh Mee brings me back fond memories of Penang Loh Mee. It definitely has what it takes to be one of the best Penang Loh Mee around.

Atmosphere: 5/10
Food: 8/10 (non-halal)
Price: 8/10
Verdict: Very decently priced and delicious, the Loh Mee will surely put a smile to your taste bud!

Kafe Fong Sheng
N0 6, Lorong Selamat
off Jalan Mcalister
10400
Penang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...