Friday, May 28, 2010

Fried Oyster Boon Leong @ Medan Makan Bunga Raya, Melaka

I have long heard about the much raved Melaka famous fried oyster which is located at a food court located at Jalan Bunga Raya. I had been to Melaka numerous time but for some reason, I have yet to taste this famous fried oyster.

On my previous trip, I was brought to this stall by Shuet Yan. Being a Malaccan boy himself, he told me that this stall has operated for decades.
Medan Makan Bunga Raya

The fried oyster stall operates from 8pm until the midnight.

The business has been passed on from one generation to another generation. The current operator is actually the son of the previous operator.
Non-stop frying

It is not an easy money because you can see that he holds on to two ladles and keep stir-frying them. One wok can usually serve up to 5-6 servings.
The aromatic smoke of fried oyster

You got to be real patience if you want to have your share of fried oyster from this stall. Waiting time for the fried oyster is estimated to be at least 25 minutes, and longer if it is during the weekends or public holidays.
Expect at least 25 minutes of wait

On that day, our fried oyster is ready after 40 minutes of wait. Man, that was really long taking into the fact that it was already near to 11.30pm when we ordered it.
Boon Leong Fried Oyster (RM 8)
It was alright but not spectacular. There was hint of wok hei but the fried oyster starchiness is slightly on the high side and I didn't like it. The oysters were very small too and I hardly able to taste them.

The fried oyster might be better than most of the stalls in Klang Valley. However, I doubt I will return due to the long queue time for just an average fried oyster. Accordingly, my friend told me that the fried oyster wasn't as good as the olden days. Clearly the previous generation served better fried oyster.

Atmosphere: 3/10
Food: 5/10
Price: 5.5/10
Verdict: An average fried oyster that is made famous by it's predecessor.

Medan Makan Bunga Raya Boon Leong
Jalan Bunga Raya
75100
Melaka

GPS Coordinates: N2 11.895 E102 15.068

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...